Surprising Home Burglary Statistics
I’m sharing this information so that you, my readers, are aware and can make proper adjustments to your home environment. Here are some surprising facts about break-ins and preventative tips.
1. Burglars tend to avoid homes with security systems.
Preventative Tip: Get an alarm system
2. Most burglaries take place between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Preventative Tip: Install indoor and outdoor motion-activated home security cameras. Doing this will enable you to check on your home during the day. In addition, you will be alerted if the camera detects motion, and ensure your home is safe.
3. The majority of break-ins are committed by some who lives nearby.
4. Most criminals can burglarize a home in less than ten minutes.
Preventative Tip: Strengthen your home’s defense by getting a home security system and high-security locks, keeping all entrances closed and locked, and installing a high-quality front door.
5. Almost 30% of burglaries occur due to an unlocked door or window.
Preventative Tip: Keep all entry points closed, locked, and alarmed 24/7. Make your home is less appealing to burglars by maintaining the landscaping of the house.
6. An astonishing 34% of intruders enter through the front door.
Preventative Tip: Keep your front door closed and locked at all times. To help further protect your home from a burglar, use a quality knob-in-lock set with a heavy-duty deadbolt, mount a security camera or motion sensor light above the door, and install a smart doorbell. Never give your house key to service providers and most importantly do not hide a key outside your home.
7. Burglars go to the master bedroom first.
Preventative Tip: Store all valuables in a safe that is out of sight.
8. The average property dollar loss per burglary is a staggering $2,251.
9. Someone is home during nearly three out of every ten burglaries.
10. Only 13.6% of burglaries in 2014 resulted in arrests.
At Mike’s Locksmith, we offer free security assessments. Give us a call.